FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE WEDNESDAY, JUNE 4, 2014
CONTACT: Anita Richardson, MDOT Office of Communications, 989-239-1732
M-24 (Lapeer Road) reconstruction schedule changes
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), in cooperation with city officials and community stakeholders, is revising the schedule for the M-24 (Lapeer Road) reconstruction project in Lapeer. Staging changes are being made to avoid extending the traffic detours into the 2014 school year.
The overall project includes reconstructing 2 miles of M-24 from south of I-69 to Nepessing Street in the city of Lapeer and Lapeer Township. Work, which began in late April, is expected to be completed in mid-September 2015.
In addition to road construction, the $17.5 million project also includes:
- storm and sanitary sewer,
- water main and hydrants,
- sidewalk and signal upgrades,
- curb and gutter replacement,
- shoulder improvements,
- constructing a non-motorized path from Turrill Road to Tower Street,
- replacing the M-24 culvert over Farmers Creek, and
- installing a new lighted pedestrian tunnel.
All side street approaches within these limits will be included in the reconstruction.
Access to all businesses will be maintained for the duration of this project.
The original construction schedule called for M-24 reconstruction from Tower Road north to Nepessing Street in 2014, with work from Tower Road south to I-69 scheduled in 2015. The schedule has been revised:
– M-24 will be reconstructed from I-69 to Demille Road in 2014,
– M-24 will be reconstructed from Demille Road to Nepessing Street in 2015, and
– Farmers Creek Bridge will be replaced in 2015, with traffic detoured from July 8 to Aug. 23, 2015
Roadway Work Zone Safety – We’re All in This Together.