Th Road Commission, is advising of potentially hazardous road conditions this weekend. The expected rain coming tonight through Saturday is going to turn gravel/back roads into sheets of ice.
Here are the details:
- In most places, the gravel roads ALREADY have 2” of ice on them (from the Christmas ice storm).
- Plowing activities from the recent snowstorm, removed a lot of the snow on top of this ice.
- It will not take much rain to wash away any remaining snow – turning them into ice skating rinks.
- The rain is expected to start falling tonight around 9pm, increasing with intensity after midnight. It will continue throughout Saturday.
- Our paved roads are still at freezing temperatures, therefore the rain falling on it, will not be melting – hence, they will be extremely icy as well.
- We are hoping for a small amount of snow late Saturday into Sunday which should help with the icy conditions.
- The Road Commission will have staff available for EMERGENCY SITUATIONS ONLY. Their trucks/equipment are JUST AS susceptible to icy roads as our personal vehicles.
- They will only be assisting with LIFE SAFETY MEASURES (i.e. clearing/sanding roadways for an ambulance, police car or fire truck to get to a person’s home).
For your safety, if you don’t have to go out on Saturday, please don’t.
For questions, you can contact the Road Commission at 810-664-6272